Monday, October 10, 2022

I'm Surprised To Find Out That...

 Hey Gang!

I'm surprised to find out that not only is it Columbus Day but it is Indigenous Peoples' Day! 

President Biden issued a proclamation on Friday to observe this Oct. 10 as a day to honor Native Americans, their resilience and their contributions to American society throughout history, even as they faced assimilation, discrimination and genocide spanning generations. 

This is the second time that President Biden has issued this proclamation. Biden first issued a proclamation recognizing the day in 2021. The move shifts focus from Columbus Day, the federal holiday celebrating Christopher Columbus, which shares the same date as Indigenous Peoples' Day this year.

Native Americans have long criticized the inaccuracies and harmful narratives of Columbus' legacy that credited him with his "discovery" of the Americas when Indigenous people were there first.

There are no set rules on how one should appreciate the day. It's all about reflection, recognition, celebration and an education. 

This is a serious topic that I might tackle at another time. I am using today to show you guys my new Looks Ken #6 doll that to me seems to be Native American.

Laurel is waiting for her bother to arrive!

Laurel: Ah, you are here!  I was hoping you would arrive in time for the Gathering! What took you so long? Bookings are filling up.

She is his older sister and is always looking out for him! (The Looks Ken #6) Don't they look so much alike!

River: It was that shipping! You can't count on that estimated date!
Laurel: What are those pants your wearing?
River: I was told that they are the latest thing!
Laurel: Yeah, if you are a stripper!
River: Sigh!
Laurel: Come with me.  I'll find you something to wear! Maybe we can get your money back for those pants!

OK, Thanks For Looking!

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

Yeah, I'm planning to make him some kin to Pocahontas or Joe when he comes to Barbieville, so I had the same thought.

Ms. Leo said...

Thanks for your comment Jeanie! Brilliant minds think alike!