Thursday, October 22, 2020

Two New Fashionista Males!

 Hey Gang!

I added two new fashionista guys to my collection! 

First is #153 

He is described as "Sculpted Dreadlocks & Animal Print Sweatshirt!

Yup! Mattel calls them Dreadlocks and that what I call them too! It appears that the

cute names (ie Proud in Print) are gone!

Mattel Promo Photos!

When I first saw the promo pictures of this guy on line, I didn't care for him.

I definitely didn't think I would want him!

One look at his face in the store and I knew he need to come home with me.
It might be my imagination but there seemed to be sun rays around his face!


I can work with his clothes but maybe not the way the put him together! I didn't think 
the print top worked with these shorts! I have seem the separate pieces restyle and they looked good.

I liked the boot though! Also not with the shorts.

The majority of the Broad Ken dolls come in shorts. I think only two have had long pants.
so if you want long pants, try some of the 80's fashions to find things that might fit. Other than
that, you will have to sew.


He is the third Broad AA doll that Mattel has done!

The other two were
#114 Which is a SIS Grace Complexion.

#18 which is more of a SIS Kara complexion.


#153 is closer to a Chandra complexion! #18 compared to  #153!
I love the sun bleached dreads look! It looks more like what well worn dreads would look like!
There is the normal imperfection on the body that I have had to accept in Mattel's playline.



I have decided to call him Ahmir, the older brother of Kamua.

Ahmir and Kamau!

Next up is Fashionista Ken # 154 

He is described as Sculpted Purple Hair & Plaid Shirt!
Mattel promo photos
When I saw this guy, I know I wanted him!

I didn't care for the purple hair in the promo photos but I new I could paint him.
I have done a lot of sculpted hair painting in the last two years.
I thought the shirt was interesting. It reminds me of something you would see in Old Navy.
I can always use more black sneakers!

You couldn't tell from the promo be unless you look closely, but he is a Slim Ken 


like Cactus Cooler!

He ins't in any of my local store and I purchased him on Amazon as part of their promotional
sale days!
The first thing I did was to check the face screening as that has been an issue lately.
Out of the box, I liked him! I have a light complexion articulated body coming but I don't think
I will use it on him! He will be a teen here. Hey Mattel, we need broad and slim articulated bodies!
I also check out the shirt when I got him.  I find that with more detail, the more opportunity for something to go wrong! The show was good...
I might do a little trim on the back of the collar.
I don't know if you have noticed but most of the slim Ken have had jean pant or black pants. 
Not as many shorts as the broad Ken dolls. The slim Ken dolls can wear Descendant doll male pants, some Mattel Ken pants, Some Monster High male pants, some High School Musical and some
Bratz shorts.

My repaint! 

So here he is as my repaint!

Brown hair with black streaks! His name is Hoa!

OK, Thanks For Looking!

4 comments:

april_n_paris said...

He is a cutie pie. I also like his outfit. I just wish the hair wasn't molded plastic! Imagine how much hotter he'd be with "real dreads!"

Treesa said...

I didn't know that Mattel was releasing a male Fashionista doll with purple hair. I'll have to keep an eye out for him. I love dolls with 'fantasy hair colors', but it's harder to find male dolls than female dolls. I actually grabbed a couple of those K-Pop boy band dolls from Five Below for the 'fantasy hair colors'. Of course, I can understand that those hair colors won't appeal to everyone. They're not exactly realistic.
Signed, Treesa

Shasarignis said...

Hi, thank you to share with us your new dolls. The number 153, will be produced in 2021 for the reproduction Derck doll on the 80´s.

Ms. Leo said...

Thanks for your comments April, Treesa and Shasarignis!

April, He might look good in real dread! Someone needs to come out with a way to keep a dolls hair looking nice in between play times! I normally have to work on a dolls hair if I haven't had them out to play in a while. Sometime even their heads get a little flatten.

Treesa, The girls seem to come out faster to the stores! Male dolls seem to arrive later. I got this doll on Amazon on the prime days! Hey, did anyone else notice that a lot of company tried to get in on the Amazon sale slot time? A few other store were offering free shipping and sales during the Amazon prime sale time!

Shasarignis, I saw on Wordpress Barbie list Holland that the new Derek is AA and uses this head sculpt. He looks really good!