Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My Pre-Halloween Leg Transplant!

The Leg Transplant!
I promised you guys I would post Brenda's leg transplant
once it was complete. So her it is.

When I first post Brenda last year at Christmas, She was
on her original body. She didn't have articulation. Now that
she is going to be in stories, she needs to be able to move. I
had been looking for a new body for her.

Another picture of her on her old body.

I loved the graceful hand of this doll I received in trade
form Anika at Dollz4Moi. Thanks again Anika!
They are "prettier" than the hand of the Fashionista dolls
and many of the other dolls with articulation. I swapped
Brenda's head to this body!

The only problem was that she had flat feet! This means
no high heals! She has to have heels! So I remembered a
post from Alrunia where she talked about transferring
the legs from certain types of Barbie dolls. So that is
what I did. The site Alrunia referred to no longer exists
but her comment suggests how.

Thanks Alrunia! This post is for you!


It works best on dolls that have their legs attached with the
black rubber band style attachment or elastic. I checked to
see if the ballerina had that type of leg joint and she did.

Next I had a donor leg body. It was the Dancing Brandy doll.
She was the first brandy they did. The neck on this doll
was strange but the legs were what I wanted.

They too had the black rubber attachment at the legs.

I cut the legs from the body and removed all black rubber
pieces that had held the legs together on both sets of legs.

I then used elastic to re-attach the legs to the body.

I used 1/4 inch elastic. I would had preferred black but
white was the only color my local WalMark had.

I restring the legs making them tight and knotting them.

I them cut off the extra elastic from the joint.

So her she is! My new and improved Brenda!

I hope this inspires others to do the same and have the
doll of your dreams. If you try it, please let me know.
Thanks for looking!


Dollz4Moi said...

Nice, I've done a leg transplant or 2. I have to tighten the legs on the 1st doll I did.

Georgia Girl said...

Very cool Ms Leo! Brenda is a pretty doll. I don't think I will be trying it looks intimidating (lol!).

Vanessa said...

Congrats. You did a great job. I recently thought I figured out a way to do arm transplants, which is what I need, but the doll they used was a vintage doll and she had a different arm contraption than the current dolls. It's such a waste of a good body to have articulated legs and straight arms.

limbe dolls said...

Congratulations on a successful operation! The patient looks great.

Miss_Lola_77 said...

I have done that type of transplant, but you can also put elastic-bound legs on a typical belly button type body by snapping off the legs, snipping off the 'ball joints' and drilling a hole to run the elastic through. yeah, my house is a little shop of barbie horrors.

Ms. Leo said...

Thanks Dollz4Moi, Georgia Girl, Vanessa, limbe dolls and

Dollz4Moi, I couldn't have done it without thanks. I reall could have try this sooner. There were dolls I passed up at thrift store that would have worked well but I guess all things in time.

Georgia Girl, it wasn't very hard at all. Cutting the rubber piece of took a little time but the rest was pretty easy.

Vanessa, I totally agree and understand!

limbe dolls, she has a bright future ahead of her!

Miss_Lola_77, Welcome to my blog! I will have to try that too! Thanks for the suggestion. I would love to see pictures if you have them.