Thursday, January 7, 2021

Youtuber-Doll Collector Interview

 Hey Gang!

I have one last interview did for 2020 and the fist published for 2021 it is 

Toni Nicole of Red Carpet Dolls!

Doll collector’s interview with Toni Nicole!

When did you start collecting/working with dolls?What was your first doll purchase toward that? 

                Answer: I started working with dolls as a adult over 16 years ago. My niece & nephew would spend the summers with me and I would help keep her busy by playing with her. Together, we started crafting doll clothes. Once summer ended, the children went home and I went online and bought used dolls off of eBay. I’ve been hooked ever since. My niece is now 23 years old!

What was your first doll purchase toward that? 

                Answer: My first doll collector purchase was the lot of used Barbies from eBay. Since I primarily do doll makeovers & restorations, very rarely do I buy dolls new in the box. My motto: “It’s more fun to make it.”  

All photos are courtcy of Red Carpet Doll and may be attached to her videos. So if you see something interesting, check her youtube channel!

A few examples



How many dolls do you own?

Answer: Because I sell the dolls that I makeover, I’m always losing and then restocking the number of dolls I own. Currently,I’ve got about 80 dolls.


What is your favorite doll and why?

Answer: Right now, I am obsessed the BMR1959 series from Mattel. They all have such fabulous style and personality. I also love that they are fully articulated.  I just got 2 for Christmas!

What doll or dolls are not your favorites and why?

Answer:Back in the early 2000s, Mattel created an “urban” series called FLAVAS.  It was supposed to be hip-hop inspired but I think it bordered on being cliché stereotypes. I actually have two that I got when I purchased a lot of used dolls form eBay. They have nice articulation though.



What is the biggest challenge in what you are doing with dolls?

Answer:I have a small YouTube channel that features “How To” doll craft videos and dioramas. Sometimes it is very difficult finding ideas and inspiration for the videos. I try to do things that are unique and individual. There are only so many miniature couches a person can make and there are so many amazing channels on YouTube that also feature doll crafts and it’s hard to stand out.


How do you display or store your dolls?
Answer:I make my own doll stands so it’s very easy to display. Storage is really convenient because most of my dolls are used. I keep those in a large suitcase. I only have one doll that I keep in it’s original packaging. It was a gift from a very special person and I keep it for sentimental reasons.

 

Have you ever been to a doll show?

Answer: I live in Michigan. The Detroit African American Doll Show is every year in November. It’s less than an hour away but unfortunately, for the last 3 years, something would come up that would prevent me from attending. (This year was Covid-19, last year my sister had surgery) They are very active on Instagram though, so I keep in touch with what the group is up to.


When you travel, do you look for dolls?

Answer: Of course! I always keep an eye out for dolls.

What is your latest purchase?

Answer: I ordered several Made-To-Move Barbies from Amazon. I like to do head swaps to create new dolls that are posable, which is great for taking doll photos.

What doll is on your wish list now?

Answer:I’d love to get the new BMR1959 doll with the afro puffs and colorful rainbow fur coat! And Fashion Royalty Dominique Integrity Dolls are always a favorite.


What do you wish you didn’t purchase?

Answer: #NoRegrets LOL

What is your favorite doll related item?

Answer: I love fashion accessories! They make a look complete. Handbags, hats, jewelry… I love it all.



How often do you photo your dolls and what doll is the most photographed 
and/or photogenic?

Answer: Doll photos are a major part of the YouTube videos that I produce and I’m also trying to establish an Instagram following as well so I take tons of photos of the dioramas that I create. I’m still figuring out the best use of light and angles but I enjoy it very much.

I love taking pictures of The Industry Lovesick Collection Legacy Janay High Fashion Doll from Integrity. I love her face sculpt and the top knot hairstyle!




Do you talk to other collectors in person or just on the web?

Do you talk to others outside the doll world about what you do with your dolls

Answer: I am a fan of so many YouTube channels and Instagram pages that features dolls. For years it has been a dream of mine to be able to reach out and collaborate with like minded people who I admired. Recently, in the last year or so, it seems like that’s happening more and more & I think that’s wonderful. Very early this year (2020) we learned of the unfortunate passing of Karen Herbert, who was known on YouTube as PALM TREE LIVING. She had a great doll channel. I think that her loss affected a lot of people in the doll community. It’s amazing to see the impact you can leave on people who you’ve never actually met in person.


If you had the chance to speak to Mattel or other toy makers, what 
would you say?

Answer: WOW! Honestly, I can say that Mattel is doing a great job when it comes to representation. We’ve seen dolls of different sizes and shades and abilities. We’ve seen dolls in hijabs and dolls in wheelchairs. It’san incredible time for doll lovers.



What doll do you wish would be reissued?

 Answer: I thought the Generation Girls series was really cute. I absolutely loved the Nichelle doll with her curly hair!



What two dolls would you combine and how would you want them 
combined? (Muff style question)  Muff is known among bloggers for altering dolls!

http://heyitsmuff.blogspot.com/2013/04/put-twist-around-head-on-articulated.html
Answer: I love the Integrity Dolls face sculpt for Dominique & Janay, but the Made-To-Move Barbies have better articulation, so something like that would be my fantasy doll. And this Versace dress is incredible! I’d love to see some fabulous accessories with it as well.


Thanks so much for the questions. This was really fun.I hope I gave you some insight into my little doll world. I’m so looking forward to seeing what happens in the future and our continued correspondence. I appreciate you so much.



-Toni

OK Thanks For Looking

3 comments:

Shon said...

Nice interview! I love her youtube channel

Phyllis said...

Loved the interview. I have seen some of her YouTube videos, but I guess I never realized she was a fellow Michigander! Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear of the passing of Karen from Palm Tree living.

Georgia Girl said...

Great interview. I love her videos. Happy New Year Ms. Leo!