Thursday, November 26, 2020

Day of Mourning!

 Hey Gang!

It might Thanksgiving other places but here at the Longhouse, it is a day of mourning! To the Native Americans, a kind gesture marks the beginning of the end of life as how they knew it.


On this day, Cheveyo preforms the Cleaning Ceremony. He lights the sage to clear away the bad spirits. 


 Nakoma tell the stories of their people and what happen to them to the children.  They must not forget.

Some commune with nature! They chant the words of their ancestors, 

And they think about and pray for wisdom from the ancestors.

OK, Thanks For Looking!

2 comments:

april_n_paris said...

I am always very sensitive to the plight of the Native Americans, especially since they make up part of my own family heritage. I just wish they were treated better. I do thank the Navajo Nation who voted in mass in Arizona earlier this month and helped change the course of history.

The grandmommy said...

Thank you for mentioning this. My children are in part Blackfoot. I have yet to discover any native in me.