Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Another AA Disney Male!

Hey Gang,

I have been wanting the Disney Genie doll for a while. As you may
know, Disney doesn't do a lot of AA male character dolls. This may be
the second male doll if you don't count Naveen as many don't.

I saw one with the Human Form(not the blue) at Target. They only
had the one, but when I came back for him, he was gone.I had been
thinking about order him online until I saw him in Five Below. You
know I had to get him!
Promo Photos
Full body photo
 Closeup


 The Genie/Mariner is played by Will Smith who is from Philly! In the place to be...

Will's acting career has take off and this maybe the second "childrens movie" that
he has stared in.
Is it a good likeness? Let me know in the comments!
May more like a dark Yul Brynner


I knew when I saw the doll, I only wanted him for the head.  I thought he might
make great character in Johnston! Please Disney, go back to the regular doll bodies 
without the molded on clothes!  I can at least work with the old body.
I removed the head so that the focus is on the body.

The Body!

The top is all one piece. The details are printed into the top like many of Mattel
doll clothes. Except for the top and jewelry, everything else is molded. 
Even the shoes!  
The bracelets are also molded on.

The neck knob!  The new Hasbro bodies have a neck knob that is closer to the style of Mattel.

The body is a bit larger than the other bodies produced thus far by Hasbro for Disney.
Many of the Disney dolls done for them by Hasbro have molded on clothes.  Often it
is the pants.
Hasbro for Disney Lt. Mattias, Inferno and Genie
So what do do for a body!

So to work with the Genie, he needs some work on my part.  Thanks to 
Hey, It Is Muff, I have become braver when it comes to altering dolls. 
He needs a new body and no ponytail (in my opinion).
I have read that some haven't been able to remove the ponytail but I was. 

 If you look at him straight on, you won't see the hole.
He does have a large head!

There is a hole on the top of the head but I think I can fill it in. I will even
 keep the ponytail.  Who knows how I might be able to use it in the future.

Warning Nude doll!

I thought to balance the head I need a body with the girth of the original body.
I have seen photos of the the head or a articulated Ken's body 
and it doesn't look good.  The head is too big for the Ken and  BMR1959 
and many of the the other articulated bodies!  His head is better suited for a 
Broad Ken body. 

On the new body!

He looks better proportioned on the larger body.  I placed him on Broad Ken Man Bun
body.  The complexion is not a close match but it will do!
He can still wear the top!
I added prince pants and Ken gold sandals to complete the outfit! 
In street clothes!
So I am call him Ving! Short for Irving.
 Until I fix the hole, he can wear hats!
 He looks good in a hat away!

OK, Thanks For Looking!


4 comments:

Jeanie said...

Those molded on balloon pants would have been a deal breaker for me. I would have come up with a backstory to explain the ponytail, myself, but you do you!

Ms. Leo said...

Thanks for your comments Linda and Jeanie!

Linda, thank you! I am looking through my Ken doll hat collect to see what will work on him! I decided that he will be a hat wearer around here!

Jeanie, After reboding the Lt. Mattias, I new I wanted this doll and to put this head on a new body. The only question was did I have a body that would work. I realize looking at my collection, I have very few dolls on their original body. I have come to the conclusion that if I can use the original body, hey great but it doesn't happen often for me. I need to be able to use the clothes and the shoes I have more than anything else! I would have loved to have a broad articulated body in a light brown. The release of cury,broad, slim petite and tall bodies by Mattel has be very slow! I have paid more than $5.00 for a head that I wanted before. I was happy to find him at Five Below and to not have order him and pay shipping. Now after watching some My Froggy stuff videos, I think with some TP, glue and paint I can fill in his head. Yes, I could have come up with a story line for the ponytail. I have plenty of time now and it would have bugged me. I can take him more with the hole than that ponytail. I get a real kick out of some of my alterations and now very few go totally wrong. knock on wood! :)

Shasarignis said...

Thank to share with us all the details of this doll. And I like how you change the style to give him a new modern look.

Ms. Leo said...

Thanks for your comment Shasarignis, sorry I didn't notice your comment earlier! I do like the way he turned out!