Thursday, May 18, 2017

Disney Males and Video of the Month

Hey Gang!

Mattel doesn't do many male face sculptures all at once. As a matter of fact,
there are currently more male face sculptures in all Mattel's lines now than
ever. Right now in their Barbie playline ( not including Gamer) there is one
Ken face sculpture (some with different hair), two AA face sculptures
(one an old and one new), and one the have not given a background.

In contrast because of movie merchandising, Disney has always had more
and different head sculptures released at the same time. There is normally
a male character for each female lead character.

In the beginning of my doll collecting, the of the first males
I purchased was not Mattel Ken but a Disney male by Mattel.

Yes this guy Kocoum.  On a new body and named Bison Most of the first Disney
male doll available in toy store were made by Mattel for Disney back then.  He is still 
my favorite but he does have some competition! 


And in the beginning, I was skeptical of Disney dolls especially the one not made
by Mattel!  I didn't really like them. I thought their heads were too big and their eyes 
were too cartoonish!  Yep, Disney had balloon head dolls before Mattel did them.
Disney Bell

 Mattel Fashion Fever


I didn't think Kocoum was made that way!  His head is not so large and maybe because
he was a serious character, he doesn't look so cartoonish! Mattel with Disney has done one
of the few Native American male doll or indigenous male dolls....
 
I have slowly been worn down! I guess it started with Li Shang and Naveen.  There
are just so few male fashion dolls and fewer ethic male dolls that I add Disney males
to expand my collection.  I hate having single female dolls around.  They seem lonely. 

Li Shang
Disney store and Mattel side by side.
Naveens!
Disney and Mattel.
I even purchased a new Li Shang with molded hair.  I will make him a brother.


After purchasing the Mattel version of these male dolls, I started looking at 
the Disney store versions and purchased them too!  Mattel only came out with one Asian!
Thank goodness there have been AA Ken/Stevens and others.

I have added Lucas to my collection!  Yes, that is the name that I have given him.

He is Disney Prince Philip!
I might change his body but not right now!


I might want to do what pseudanoymous did from Flickr did body wise but I really 
have plans to do what he did to Flynn Rider hair.  For now I only have the doll!


I also purchase a Frozen Kristoff.

The doll they sold in the stores had the molded on clothes but the eye looked
forward. The Disney store doll had clothes you could take off but it was side 
glancing.  As you might know, side glancing is not my favorite!  I got both at
thrift stores thinking the heads would be interchangeable but they were not the
same complexion nor do that have the same neck knob.

I have come across many Captain Phoebus doll!  

They make great body donors for darker complexion 70's, 80's and 90's. 
 I has used him for Kocoum.  He is a good match but I like the liker AA 
body for him even better.
I decided to give him a repaint and make him a Native American.  His facial
features work to me. The hair and the eye color were wrong though.
Cheveyo!
He was asked by Running Bear to preform the Cleansing Ceremony for  the longhouse.


OK, Thanks For Looking!

4 comments:

Muff said...

Love this doll retrospective. I like seeing the differences through the years. Nice video!

RoxanneRoxanne said...

Nice looking guys you've got there. Cool video, too!

Phyllis said...

I do like that Disney has a lot of character male dolls, so you can at least get some diversity in your male doll collection. I am not, however, overly happy with the body articulation, so I do tend to rebody them if I intend to use them as main characters. Their heads are a little on the larger side though. I liked the older ones made by Mattel for Disney better.

I liked the video of the cleansing ceremony too and I like your repaint of Captain Phoebus too. Great job!

Ms. Leo said...

Thanks for your comments Muff, RoxanneRoxanne and Phyllis!

Muff and RoxanneRoxanne, these doll are some of my favorite guys!

Phyllis, I need to rebody some of my Disney dolls. I am on the hunt for bodies. Any suggestions?