Thursday, July 18, 2019

Doll Collectors interview--Part Two Update!

Hey Gang!

After the Doll Collector's Meet up last month, I asked the doll collectors there the
same questions I asked a while back about doll collecting!

First up is Shereese Nicole!



Doll collector’s interview

When did you start collecting dolls?
I initially started collecting when I was younger, however, due to everyday life I fell off. I didn’t rediscover doll collecting until 2013.

What was your first purchase as a collector?
My first purchase was the So in Style: Darren and AA Barbie I can be a Dentist.

How many dolls do you own?
Is this a trick question? Lol, last I checked it was over 200, but I 
have not counted recently. 

What is your favorite doll and why?
The AA Nikki doll because she was one of the first dolls I purchased 
and has been a major player in my doll entourage. Her character is 
a more confident and eclectic version of myself; some might say she’s 
my alter ego.
Here she is (Shereese calls her Jeanette) with my Margo in the black 
and white at Cuba Libre! 

What doll or dolls are not your favorites and why?
The twist and turn, non-articulate dolls. I understand these are older
dolls that came before the MTM time period but their unrealistic 
body structure has always been weird to me. Guess that's my personal 
issue if any lol.

What is the biggest challenge about collecting dolls?
Trying not to overspend and buy unnecessary items to spoil these 
plastic people any further.  But on a serious note, my biggest challenge 
is finding older or rare dolls at a reasonable price. 

How do you display or store your dolls?
Due to limited space, I have acquired My Froggy Stuff storage method 
by using magazine boxes to store most of my dolls, in addition, I 
also use storage totes and closet shelves.

Have you ever been to a doll show?
Yes, I attended the Doll and Bear show in New Jersey about two years. 
It was a very fun and fulfilling experience.

When you travel, do you look for dolls?
I always keep my eyes peeled for dolls, especially at flea markets
and yard sales.

What is your latest purchase?
The Wild Hearts Crew: Jacy doll.

What doll is on your wish list now?
Jean Therapy Tobias Alsford Fashion Figure.
 I must say, he is hot!

What do you wish you didn’t purchase?
The hunger games Peeta doll. I wasn’t really a fan of the doll but purchased 
it only to keep up with the hype. A quick lesson I learned as a doll collector, 
never go with the masses but what dolls actually make your heart flutter; 
He was definitely not one of them. 

What is your favorite doll related item?
My favorite items would be the first diorama I made which was a doll pool. 
I love crafting and making anything for my dolls by hand brings me joy. 
OOAK items always appeal to me.

How often do you photo your dolls and what 
doll is the most photographed and/or 
photogenic?
Well, I haven’t taken many photos here lately however, my AA 
Nikki seems to get the most publicity and attention. She is the most 
photogenic to me because I have a few different versions of her. This 
is because her mood and style changes so often and her photos 
enhances them.

Do you talk to other collectors in person or just 
on the web?
I mostly speak to doll collectors via the web but as of late I have made 
a few dolly friends that I have met and spoke to in person. TBH, I feel 
face to face gives you a better bond and understanding with fellow 
doll collectors.

If you had the chance to speak to Mattel or other 
toy makers, what would you say?
A whole heck of a lot but let’s stick to my top concerns. I would 
stress to Mattel or any toy maker that we need more dolls that 
represent everyday people not just those of “magazine perfection”. 
We also need more minority variety, male and female. Having all 
dolls come in articulated and non articulated form, even down to 
the children and to also interview more average people to help 
with creating various clothing and face molds that appeal to 
every generation. 

What doll do you wish would be reissued?
The AA Texas A&M doll! I would love to have him in my collection 
but I refuse to break bank to do so.


What two dolls would you combine and how would 
you want them combined? (Muff style question)
Never really thought about this honestly so I cant give an answer.

I want to thank Shereese for her willingness to take part in this interview! It is 
always great to know more about collectors and collecting!

OK, Thanks For Looking!


5 comments:

LeeFran said...

I love everything ����
Very nicely done.

~LeeFran~

D7ana said...

Thanks for sharing this interview. Fun to read about other doll enthusiasts.

Mary said...

Nice meet admin, my first visit to your blog and really love it.
By the way, here my pinterest pin reborn dolls thanks

april_n_paris said...

I agree with D7ana. It's always interesting to read about other doll collectors and their choices, loves, dilemmas

Ms. Leo said...

Thanks for your comments Lee, D7ana, Mary and April!

Lee, I was really inspired by meeting you to revisit the post and add new people with different perspectives on collecting!

Mary, Welcome to my blog! I will check out your pinterest Pin!

April and D7ana, that is the education of the interview. I hear about dolls that I never knew existed! It really ups my dollie game!