Saturday, May 4, 2019

May is Disney Month!

Hey Gang!

May is Disney Month!  
I will try to get in as many Disney posts as I can.

My first for this month is my High School Musical dolls. 

About the movies:


High School Musical is a 2006 American musical television film and the 
first installment in the High School Musical trilogy directed by Kenny Ortega 
It was filmed in 2005 in Salt Lake City. Upon its release on January 20, 2006, 
it became the most successful film that the  Disney Channel Original Movie (DCOM) 
ever produced, with a television sequel High School Musical 2, released in 2007 
and the feature film, High School Musical 3: Senior Year released theatrically in 
October 2008. It is the first and only DCOM to have a theatrical sequel. The film's 
soundtrack was the best-selling album in the United States, reaching number 1 
on the American charts for 2006.

High School Musical was Disney Channel's most watched film that year 
with 7.7 million viewers in its premiere broadcast in the US, until the 
premiere ofThe Cheetah Girls 2, which achieved 8.1 million viewers. 
 In the United Kingdom, it received 789,000 viewers for its premiere 
(and 1.2 million viewers overall during the first week), making it the 
second most watched program for the Disney Channel (UK) of 2006. 
On December 29, 2006, it became the first DCOM to be broadcast on the
BBC. Globally, High School Musical has been seen by over 225 million
viewers.

With a plot described by the author and numerous critics as a modern
adaptation of Romeo and Juliet. High School Musical is a story about
two high school juniors from rival cliques– Troy Bolton (Zac Efron), captain
of the basketball team, and Gabriella Montez (Vanessa Hudgens), a shy transfer
student who excels in mathematics and science. Together, they try out for the
lead parts in their high school musical and this causes division among all the
school's students. Despite other students' attempts to thwart their dreams, Troy
and Gabriella resist peer pressure and rivalry, inspiring others along the way
not to "stick to the status quo". High school diva Sharpay Evans (Ashley Tisdale)
and her twin brother Ryan (Lucas Grabeel), will do anything not only to sabotage
the friendship and romance between Troy and Gabriella, but also to get the leads
in the school musical.
Information above provided by Wikipedia.

The success of the movies means merchandising and merchandising
means there were doll!

Sooo..I never watch the movies and I don’t know much about the charters
other than what I have above. For me, it is all about the dolls.
These dolls were a chance to add more teens into my collection and even
more important more teen clothes!

Remember,  we haven't had a teen boy since Kevin in 1991 and we didn't have any
new outfits for the size doll since they went out of production in 1995.

About the dolls!

There were at least three releases of the movie and I think five releases of the dolls
that were done by Mattel and  two releases of dolls done for the Disney Store that
I know of!  Companies other than Mattel did the dolls for the Disney store but
I don't know who it was!.

Mattel did a release of mini dolls.  I don't have any to show your but
Crafty Doll Gal did a nice post on them!

I have several versions of these dolls!  But today we will look at my taller doll!

The First dolls were 12 inch and 11 1/2 inch dolls.

Mattel Promo Photo




Troy and Gabriella 1st release Promo photo2006/2007!


Troy!

I got my doll from the thrift store. He was part of the set above done for the 
Disney Store!  He didn't have the original outfit but here he is!
He came with the shirt.  I got the short from the smaller doll but I would love to
have the complete outfit! In the promo photo and the smaller doll out fit, the
pants have three strips ...


but if you purchase the 12" doll the pants only have two
stripes!

This was a new headsculpt and it didn't have year it just said Disney and because
it was Disney, it wasn't used for Ken dolls! They thought the guys needed articulation!
All the male doll have it but not the girls!

Gabriella! "When there was me and you"



Gabriella  promo photo!  
This is doll was done by Mattel use the same Carival/BeBe headsculpt which is 
surprising. Mattel and Disney normally don't share headsculpts!

Again my doll I got from the thrift store!  She came with this outfit but I did find
her sweater on another doll while there! I though I love the sweater and use it for 
other dolls, I don't feel the need to chase down the rest of her outfit! 
I know she is the "when there was me and you doll because of her size and her lip
color!  She 11 1/2 inches and are lips are a peachy color.  The doll that came as
part of the pair above has a red dress and red lips.

She has a great face and lovely brown eyes.  She kinda reminds me of ...
Catherine Zeta-Jones

I will be working on her hair in the near future! She is now on a fashionista body!
I'm calling her Zeta!

OK, Thanks For Looking!



7 comments:

IHime said...

Oh, these dolls were pretty charming and quite diverse. I think I still've got Chad somewhere.

Jeanie said...

I've got the ten inch Gabriella, Taylor, and Sharpay. My Taylor has an Uma (Descendents) body and her body is on the AA Babysitter Inc doll. I changed Sharpay's name to Charmaine.

D7ana said...

I didn't follow this movie series either - like you, I was/am just into new dolls.

I had a few of them (Gabby, Sharpay, Ryan, Chad, etc.). The only 11.5" one that I had was the first Gabriela; my others were on the shorter teen bodies.

I've seen the High School setting repainted and it looked neat. I didn't get any of their play sets. Did you?

Ms. Leo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ms. Leo said...

Thanks for your comments lHime, Jeanie and D7ana!

lHime, if you have Chad, you should get him out and take photos! May is Disney month!

Jeanie, You do used you High School Musical doll a lot! They are active characters in your stories and you also have great outfits for them. It keeps the dolls interesting.

D7ana, I have a lot of the HSM items. Until I started doing this I didn't realize how many. I hope to show them this month!

Barb the Evil Genius said...

My youngest daughter had a lot of High School Musical toys, as she was just about the right age when the movies came out. She and my eldest daughter even got invited to a watch party for HSM2. I love to joke with her now about how into the movies she was at the time. We got rid of a lot of their HSM stuff, but I discovered that the shoes are a perfect fit for Pullips and J-Dolls, so my J-Dolls have those. I also have the pool set from HSM 2 lying around here somewhere.

D7ana said...

Glad to comment, Ms. Leo!

I look forward to seeing your HSM items. I like the idea of Disney-themed doll posts for May.