Thursday, April 4, 2019

Video Of The Month-Changing The Eyes Have It!

Hey Gang!

The video I am featuring this month is from My Froggy Stuff!  It isn't a
new video but it is one that has enticed me for a while.  You might say
an oldie but a goodie! It is on doll contact lenses!

Y
You might remember me saying that I don't like dolls with sideways glancing eyes!
I have some dolls that have these eye but I didn't feel like repainting them.  After
watching this video when it was first posted, I thought that might work. Then after
watching year a later, thought why paint anything, why not just take pictures of the
eyes I want and make the pictured eyes into coverings.

So first up is HSM Sharpay!

I wanted my Esmae (first version of HSM Sharpay-taller) to be the mom. She has
forward looking eyes.

She needed a daughter who is kind of a mini me that I am calling Chrystal (second
version of HSM doll with Skipper size body).Now does have the side glancing eyes.

BTW, in my area, this is doll is #2 of the doll always seen at the thrift store! 
I have three.  Only one I am keeping. One I use the body for another doll. I
might sell there other! 

So I searched the web for pictures  of Sharpay (yeah I now I could
have just taken a picture but I didn't). You want a close up picture of the doll 
facing forward. I crop the picture to get just the eyes.  I did it in a labels sheet
which forces it to be kinda small. I use a free editing program to get a mirror
image and measure to get the right size. Then I cut them out.


Following the rest of what they did on My Froggy Stuff, I built up a layer of clear
glue, added the paper eyes and just a little more glue to seal.  I put several pair
of eyes on the label sheet. Save it as a doc for later.
 She is no longer looking to the side!
Aww! Mother Esmae and daughter Chrystal

Next up is Li Shang, 

The other versions have forward facing eye (Two of the Tsai brothers)
but this last Disney store version has those eye again!

I used a photo of the first version's eyes since they are brown and detailed.
 This is the reverse image of the eyes!
I did both and chose the ones I liked best.

I put a little too much glue on these! Especially on the top of the photo.  It is
more of a shine than I wanted.
The next time I will put less and I might 
even use Disney version #2's eyes. 
Blaise and his best frien Zhang!

Lastly, SIS Chandra!

Yeah I know I painted her eyes and that was OK, but years later....
(I also lighten this photo and replace the one in the original post! I do try to up
and change my blog to make it better when I can.)

I think I can do something different! 

So I can give here eyes more like here
sister Vanessa.
Vanessa! 
The updated Chandra!
 I like her!
Chandra and Vanessa!

This was so much fun! I can easily see my self doing more.  One of the key 
problems for me in off brand dolls are they eyes. So this could be a big help!

Now I am looking at other dolls sideways!  

OK, Thanks For Looking!

3 comments:

Black Doll Enthusiast said...

I like the concept of removable contacts for dolls. I would have opted to find the eyes that I wanted like you did and strategically size and place them on the dolls. I did this once with a wooden doll I own but the eyes I used are permanently placed. I replaced the original mouth too. I will try the contact lens method (modified to my taste) soon. Thanks for sharing!

dbg

april_n_paris said...

I don't think I want to try this on my FR dolls (some have decal eyes), but I think this is a brilliant idea!!!!

Ms. Leo said...

Thanks for your comments dbg of BDE and April!

dbg of BDE, I think the process has to be customized to each doll! I do think you will have to do it your own way. I will try this again for other dolls and let you guys know how it works out.

April, I am surprised that the FR have decal eyes! I would have thought for the price the eyes would be better.